1st century BC the town suffered severe
earthquake that swallowed it almost completely. Then it was restored and
included in the territory of the Roman Empire and consequently in that of
Nowadays traces of the old settlement are to be found on both the high and
low parts of the area. After the foundation of the Bulgarian State on the
Balkan Peninsula the town changed its name several times. It was called
Karvouna, Karbona, Karnava and finally Kavarna. In the Middle Ages the
invasion of the Tartars destroyed it. Later on the Boyar Balik restored it
and it became independent principality named Kar-voun-ska Hora.
The Turks conquered it in 1393. The town moved slowly to its present day
location. It suffered the Russian-Turkish Wars of 1828-1829 and of 1850,
then it was restored but shortly before the liberation the inhabitants of
Kavarna rebelled and as a result of the suppression of the rebellion, the
town was put to fire and devastated by the bashibozouk (Turkish army of
volunteers). 1200 people found their death.
The town of Kavarna was once again rebuilt and became an agricultural and
fishing centre. Then it took part in the revolts of Dourankoulak in 1900.
Nowadays the town is an industrial centre; there is an agricultural
technical school and a harbour.
On the high hill of Chirakman one can find the remains of Roman villas and
walls, as well as of medieval buildings and churches. There is a museum
hosting interesting exhibits of the town’s history, the Thracian finds
making special impression.
There is an excellent beach south of Kavarna. The interesting fishing
harbour is much visited by tourists. Old buildings of the time of the
Ottoman rule are preserved, today being used as warehouses. There is a
small art gallery and local archaeological museum in the town.