The town of Elena, 7421 inhabitants, 300 meters above
sea level, is located in the Central Balkan Mountain.
The distance to Veliko Turnovo is 38 km, to the Bulgarian capital Sofia –
280 km and 230 km to Varna.
The town lies in the lovely valley of the Elena River. Nature has been
pretty benevolent in this region. A great number of small rivers and
several deep and scenic gorges run across the Elena hollow. The hills are
overgrown with deciduous trees. The Balkan woods are inhabited by wildboars,
wolves and foxes, hares and does. One can find mountain barbell and chub in
the clean water of the small rivers.
Elena can be reached by the European road E772 from Sofia or from Varna to
Veliko Turnovo and by the intermediate road № 53.
Elena has managed to preserve the greater part of its architectural
The city clock tower is a remarkable and ingenious monument of culture.
Constructed by an unknown master-builder as early as 1812. The tower is
visible from any part of the town.
The Ilaryon Makaryopolsky museum-house is the most interesting of all the
old houses in Elena. Elena’s community-centre, by the name of “Headway”,
was founded in one of the rooms here.
The Popnikolov house was built around 1830.
The Kamburov Inn served as an inn in the Bulgarian Renaissance and had the
functions of a public building.
The Razsukanov houses are five in number and built under the same roof.
There is an art-gallery which has a valuable ancient icon collection in the
Jordan Hadjipetkov house.
Renaissance Elena has left a significant trace in the history of Bulgarian
education and church independence..